12 interesting things of Chak De India
A few things related to the making of this sports drama starring Shahrukh Khan, who is completing 11 years of release.
01. Jaideep Sahni came from a small story of this story’s Idea Newspaper. They were reading the newspaper and the big news of winning the Indian women’s hockey team in the 2002 Commonwealth Games was put in a small place which was suppressed somewhere in the back of the newspaper. He was surprised that the big win of the Commonwealth Games was not put on the front page. This happened in the Asia Cup in 2004 in which the Indian women won the team. If these men won the men’s team then they would have been put on the first page. After seeing this non-equality, ‘Chuck! India was born.
02. The process of writing this film started during the shooting of ‘Bunty Aur Babli’ (2005). Then the writing session of the film was over. Rani Mukherjee and Abhishek Bachchan starring Yash Raj Films also wrote this film also by Jaideep Sahni. He was sitting with producer Aditya Chopra that etc. asked what are you thinking of doing next? Then Jaideep said that for many years there is a story in his mind. There are girls’ hockey teams, they have coaches, their support staff, and how without play motivation play they inspire and they win one match after another. Jaideep told this story in half an hour. He said that everyone must know this story. Etc. Finally said that let’s do it. He also said that this film should be made. After that, Jaideep started doing research. Went to hockey camps Went to the stadiums Stayed with the teams.
03. During this time Kabir Khan, the character of Hockey Coach, was written. Shahrukh played it in the film. Kabir is accused of deliberately blaming India against Pakistan and his life is ruined. After many years, he is made the coach of the girls’ hockey team and he makes them the winning team. In the film, the false allegations against Kabir, actually happened in the 1982 Asian Games, along with the hockey player Mir Ranjan Negi. He was also a consultant in this film and he himself was seen in small roles. However, both he and Jaideep denied that the character of the coach in the movie is not based on them.
04. Before ‘Chak De India’, director Shimit Amin made Ramgopal Verma’s film ‘Ab Tak Chhappan’ in which Nana Patekar played an Encounter Specialist. Shrimat’s Treatment Producer etc. was remembered in this film. In such a situation, when it came to finding a director for ‘Chak De India’, etc., he told Jaideep that it would be better to make it with ‘Chhappan’ so far. Then Shimit finished the finals. Jaideep knew Shimit beforehand and had friends.
05. In Australia, the film was to be shot in the World Cup final match. The director Shimit wanted the stadium to be full and cheering a large number of spectators. The shoot was to last five nights for a long time. Now the problem was that people were not there to fill the stadium. In such a situation, Shahrukh said that he can use his stardom to fill the stadium. After that, the film team campaigned in Sydney that Shahrukh is going to be there at the Olympic Hockey Stadium. A large number of people came to see them. And came for five consecutive nights. They used to sit there for eight-eight hours to watch Shahrukh. Shahrukh also used to revolve in front of the audience in the stadium between the matches, waving the audience. Even when their scenes were not shooting, they used to do so.
06. Frieda Pinto, who debuted from an Oscar Winning movie like ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ in 2008, also ‘Chak De! India had auditioned for the role of a hockey player. But their selection was not done.
07. Finally, the Indian women’s hockey team wins the World Cup in the film. But when Jaideep Sahni was writing his script, he did not decide whether or not Indian girls would win in their story. He was not sure. Instead of losing, they went on to move the story forward and the story goes on ending where the shootout decides.
08. Before the release, the makers had made a video in which the girls from the film’s hockey team are shown, who gives the character training of Shahrukh. The song was also kept in this video – “I am a hockey player.” This video was sent to the multiplexes for taking people’s reaction. Additionally, Makers also showed their friends and relatives. The multiplexes sent the video back and said that people in the theater were hooting it and watching the jokes of the girls in this song. There was feedback from the exhibitors that do not stop playing this song otherwise it will not come to see the film. Jaideep Sahni believed that people did not like this video because they were not able to accept that girls like Shahrukh Khan could be such a girls. He had the imagination of glamorous heroines in his mind. Although, after a few months, when the film was released, all the same audience liked these girls very much.
09. When the movie was released, writer Jaideep was in America’s Alley because there was also screening of him. He called the producer Yash Chopra in Mumbai on an opening day. Yash Ji said in a slow voice, “Son, no one has come.” That is, people are not coming to watch the film. Jaideep was quiet on the other side of the phone. Yash Chopra then told him that even if a man did not come to see the film, I am proud that the name of my studio is associated with such a film. Although the second day the film became full and the craze in the crowd increased greatly.
10. It is said that after the release of the film, the sales of hockey sticks in the country increased by 30 percent.
11. Salman Khan was also offered the lead role of Kabir Khan in the film. In fact, when the script was being written, there was the talk of between producer Aditya Chopra, director Shimit, and writer Jaideep, and in his Zehaan, Shah Rukh Khan was in the role of a hockey coach. But after writing the first draft, when Shahrukh was approached, he said that he does not have the dates and he will not be able to do the project. In such a situation, Producer etc. had a meeting with Salman Khan for this role. However, after all, Salman did not do that role. Later Shahrukh signed the film.
12. ‘Chak de India Anthem’ was also thoughtfully made. Producer Aditya Chopra’s own director and composers had demanded that they make a song that would be the sports anthem because India has a national anthem but the sports is not the anthem. This is what happened later. “Chak De India” became the main song to encourage players in the remaining games of India? When the Indian cricket team won the World Cup in 2011, Virat Kohli sang it in front of the audience. When India defeated South Africa in the 2015 World Cup, the audience was shouting ‘Chak De India’. Apart from this, it is essentially played in cricket and the rest of the matches.